Example: Woodhoopoe Model
- Use “random scouting” submodel
- Survival probability (mortality)
- Scouting probability (can’t be directly measured in real world)
- Calibration Criteria
- Variation in real groups, so we’re not trying to reproduce a specific value.
- Three patterns from field observations:
- Abundance: Total population in range 115–135 (25 patches)
- Variation Standard deviation of population from one year to next in range 10–15
- Vacancy On average, 15–30% of patches missing one or both alphas.